Saturday, February 12, 2011

Vegan Mashed Potatoes

I searched for a vegan mashed potato recipe.......hoping to gain some insight into exactly which products were used for butter and milk substitutes. I never found a recipe, so I experimented on my own.
I've found two products to substitute for the milk and butter: Earth Balance Natural Buttery Spread and Soy Dream Soy Milk. I buy the 3 pak of the soy milk (3 paks of 8 oz each) and when the potatoes are ready to mash, I just use the same amount of "butter" and "milk" that I used when using real dairy products. For the potatoes I use the Yukon Gold variety. To me, these taste more "potato-y" than Idaho bakers or even red potatoes. If you have any suggestions for alternate products, please post them here.

4 comments:

  1. Hi guys! I'm not sure if this would work for you but I've been using So Delicious Unsweetened Coconut milk or unsweetened Almond Milk as a milk substitute. It works great in cornbread. I'm concerned with how much heat processing the soy milk may be undergoing. I just started on So Delicious Cultured coconut milk. Haven't cooked with it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Earth Balance, but instead of milk I used Tofutti sour cream and just a little olive oil. They were delicious! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will try the above suggestions......thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I use a little nutritional yeast in mine to give it a richer slightly cheesy nutty flavor. It also adds b12 :)

    ReplyDelete